Sunday, April 21, 2013

Raw Vegan Spinach Pesto Manicotti



I was very excited to visit one of the raw food restaurants in Czech Republic. Me and my friends went there about a week ago and were very impressed. The food was delicious and I was very pleased with the inspiring menu. But when I examined it more carefully I realised that main substance on the menu is fat. I understand that restaurant food doesn't stop having restaurant character just because the food is raw, but I believe that raw vegan dishes can be lower in fat. I ordered spinach manicotti and since I loved the dish, I decided to remake the recipe and lower it in fat. When I tasted my manicotti I was simply in heaven!


Basil is my favourite herb. I love the smell so much that I buy it just to fill the apartment with freshness of this beautiful smell. The combination of spinach and basil sounded interesting and it didn't let me down. The spinach pesto went perfect and I can't wait to make this dish again!


Raw Vegan Spinach Pesto Manicotti


Serves: 2

Manicotti
1 big zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise

Spinach Pesto
1/2 zucchini
1 1/2 cup frozen peas (or fresh)
1 avocado
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil
squeeze of lime juice

Swedish Salad
4 cups cabbage, cut julienne
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatos, sliced
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup spring onion, chopped
1 cup arugula
1 Tbsp oregano
squeeze of lime juice

Garnish
1/2 cup arugula
5 leaves of fresh basil
1/2 Tbsp oregano

To make the Spinach Pesto: Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

To make the salad: Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl and place in the fridge.

Assembly: Arrange zucchini slices horizontally on a cutting board, slightly overlapping one over another. Place the spinach pesto in the front of zucchinis and roll up. Cut the roll to make two or three smaller and place on a plate. Garnish with prepared salad, arugula, basil leaves and sprinkle with oregano. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment