Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Marinated Pineapple Slices with Fig and Raspberry Jam


Don't forget to visit also my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/spicedblueberryshake 
and give your like and share, thanks!

Today is World Vegetarian Day and funny fact about that is that I decided to go vegetarian two years ago in october. I didn't know back then that there was any vegetarian day though. I announced my decision to my family and friends and one friend of mine said, that I won't keep it longer then 4 months. I said, you'll see. That was my first step on the way to start eating healthy and get fit. And it was the easiest step. Giving up dairy and candy was my biggest struggle, but I soon discovered that fruits are even better then candy!


I wanted to come up with some nut and oil free dessert recipe and decided to go for pineapple. I wanted it to be a little more interesting so I marinated it in orange juice with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. I loved it! I allowed it to marinate for couple of hours and the pineapple got completely new, spicy taste. I paired the pineapple with sweet taste of figs and sourness of raspberries.


I'm definitely going to make this dessert again soon. It tastes so sinful, even though it is so low in calories and doesn't contain any added fats or processed sugar. You don't need anything unhealthy to satisfy your hunger for sweets, fruits provide the best source of natural sugars and with a little creativity, you can turn them into delicious, eye catching desserts.


Marinated Pineapple Slices with Fig and Raspberry Jam

serves 2

1 big pineapple, peeled and cut into slices
juice of 2 oranges
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp raw agave or other sweetener

Fig and raspberry jam:
4 big, fresh figs
1 cup of raspberries
1 Tbsp raw agave nectar or other sweetener, more if needed

2 big, fresh figs, sliced
couple of fresh raspberries
couple of leaves of mint or basil

Blend orange juice with the spices in a big bowl and add pineapple slices. Place in fridge for about 4 hours. To make the jam: blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. 
Assembly: Place your pineapple slices on a plate and pour over with the marinade. Spread the jam on each slice and top with figs, raspberries and leaves of mint or basil. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment